(Paris, 1686 – Beauvais, 1755)
French painter and engraver, pupil of the portraitist Nicolas de Largillière (1713-17), he stood out as an animalistic painter, painting still life and hunts with a massive production of decorative works.
He was the official painter of “Royal Hunts”, for Louis XV from 1722 and, from 1726, worked first as a drawer and then as the director at the Beauvais Manufactory.
From 1730 to 1734 he was the director of the Gobelins Manufactory, for which he gave cartons for lots of cycles of tapestries.
In the 40’s of the 1700 he attended the gardens of the archbishop Henry II of Guise with a following of young students.
One of his most famous paintings, “White Duck”, still remains lost while “Still Life with Monkey, Fruits, and Flowers” is kept at the National Museum of Stockholm.