The origins of the rampant dog as the crest of the town of Campiglia are not clear. It is known that the dog was considered a symbol of loyalty and represented the town since its earliest days. It could recall the crest of Matilda of Canossa (1046-1115), the “Great Countess” of Tuscany, absolute protagonist of the history of her time, both at local and international level. In the heraldic emblem of the Canossa there was a rampant dog with a bone inside its mouth, a “talking emblem” (dog + bone to represent the word Canossa), a kind of puzzle designed to describe a word with an image.
The most possible theory, however, is that even our symbol is a “talking emblem”, that with a “dog that fetches”, which is a rampant dog, wants to represent the word “Campiglia”.
Campiglia Marittima is one of the most beautiful villages on the Etrsucan coast. Located in Tuscany, in the province of Leghorn, dominates the sea and the near countryside from its hill.
In the territory of Campiglia Marittima there is the ancient termal establishment Venturina Terme, known in Etrsuscan-Roman times as Caldane, it didn’t lost a pinch of charm during the centuries.